Sunday, July 12, 2020

‘What I did last . . . pandemic’

Wasp

I may never join the countless others who have already written about how they’ve made it through this Covid-19 quarantine period.  (It’s not over yet, alas!)  Anyway, I probably did little out of the ordinary: some cooking and baking, some reading, some exercise cycling . . .  

Looking back on highlights since March, I’m not surprised to realize that animals have played a large role in what has made me happy.  The trigger for my realizing this was wasps in the birdbath.  You read it right: day after summer day, while checking on gardening projects outside, I’ve often seen a few wasps at the edge of the water in the birdbath.  They looked to be delicately taking sips before getting on with their afternoons.  
 
I’ve tried to sneak up on them to be sure they are in fact wasps (and not hornets or bees), but at that, they take to the air and drift away.  They’re skinny, though, with waistlines and yellow stripes, so I think I’m calling a wasp a wasp here.

Female & male house finches
Then came “the house finch festival.“  To the delight of our cats, whose mornings include looking out our bedroom windows, dozens of house finches one day began flying from the tree out front to various parts of our roof, and back, and back.  They had a great time, as did Billy, in particular, following their moves with head and tail.  For days after the finch fly-in occurred (possibly because of bird seed spilled out front), poor Billy kept hoping and watching for them.   But no encores.

Next: the groundhogs along the border of the park nearby.  It was a novelty to see spring-born babies munching along with the adults.  Cuddlesome-looking junior versions of the big guys, they seem to have picked right up on eating their greens.  
 
Groundhogs
And the squirrels, both gray and black, have simply kept up our winter custom: They hear the garage door open or see the car pull in, and they get into position near a big bush to claim their daily salt-free peanuts in shells.  They’re very winsome.  And obviously well-fed.

So far, small creatures.  Then as the quarantine continued, deer became more widely visible, in places where I hadn’t seen them before.  One example, a row of vivid petunias in front of a clubhouse.  Make that “formerly vivid.”  Another: on the verge of the park (and probably more plentiful throughout it too), usually frequented only by (human) animals walking or bike-riding. 

The biggest surprise came recently: a fox, casually sitting in the middle of the road (that happens to run next to the park).  I had seen something there while driving that way, but then made out a fox . . . showing no inclination to move.   So I pulled up next to her/him and suggested getting out of the street.   Languidly, s/he moved to the curb. 

Urban fox
When I looked back a block or so later, the fox was back on the road, suggesting what my advice had been worth.   (BTW, to me the fox looked healthy enough, not fierce or rabid-seeming at all, although I didn’t get out of the car for a close-up chat.)

All of which brings me to the animals I live with and eagerly return to after being out: Harry and Billy, our beloved cats, now 15 and 13 years old, still spirited and with it and fun.  They are always consolations and inspirations, and I can only hope they get as much joy from having me and Joe live with them as we get from their being in our family.


#


Harry Summers
Billy Summers



What animals are you encountering, and enjoying, now more than before?  I hope to hear from you about them.  To comment, please go to 1moreonce.blogspot.com.


6 comments:

  1. This was a delightful read, Pat. Life is all around us and you experienced it all - the secret of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing fox several times this summer, and one animal that I couldn't tell...either a large, brindled fox, or a small coyote? Also, last week I saw a piebald fawn! Haven't seen that since, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely heart-warming post - and the pictures are stunning! Are they actually taken by you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thrilled to see these comments and will react more fully in my next post. For now, thanks very much! --Pat

    P.S. The only pix I took were of Harry and Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post with sweet pictures of harry and Billy. I have to add a great fawn sighting. When I went to turn on the hose in the front of the house, I startled a little fawn who had been resting behind a bush. it leapt up and away, going only so far as the tree at the end of our driveway where it stood and looked at me for a bit, then began grazing.

    I also startled the groundhog who lives under our deck when i came too quickly around the side of the house. That's the one who eats our flowers!

    ReplyDelete