Sunday, February 25, 2018

A meat-free new fave that’s great -- hot dog!


What off-limit foods do vegetarians miss most?  Till a week ago, I would have ticked off canned tuna and pepperoni as foods I’d like to be hypnotized into enjoying once more (yes, I know: peasant tastes).  Well, I haven’t found substitutes for them, and I’m not into tofu cooking, or eating, but a few days ago, I tasted something I’d really miss if I also gave it up on principle: vegetarian hot dogs.

 OMG!  

And to begin with, my trying “Field Roast Vegetarian Frankfurters” was thanks to a feature story in a cat magazine that ID’d a couple delicious meat-alternatives for vegetarians (and vegans).  My caring about animals and not eating meat – was it virtue rewarded, in the form of a grilled vegetarian hot dog?  I’ll take it.  Again and again.

Roaming around the Field Roast website, I learned that whole wheat flour seems to be the most “solid” ingredient of these 200-calorie links; that garlic and onion and appealing spices are included too; and that there are recipes for other uses far beyond what I enjoyed: a butterflied hot dog, sautéed in olive oil and slathered with yellow mustard, on a roll.  (Next time, I’ll embellish.)  

Simple to prepare and easy to love, this meal was in great contrast to my pasta adventures, veggie mashes or eggs-in-some-form meals. 
   
I was also gratified to find numerous other Field Roast products, from appetizers and entrees through sausages, roasts and loaves – including, as you’d expect, the “Field Burger,” with this version blessedly free of the ubiquitous black beans.  Another product was meatloaf (think: meatloaf sandwiches!) with brown gravy.  Its description includes this line: “We’ll spare you the just-like-mom-made references; simply cozy up and remember that Field Roast loves you.

Loving it right back, I’m eager to find the nearest store with Field Roast’s line of products and try more of them.

Please note: This has been an UN-solicited and UN-paid gastronomical announcement.  And while I’m delighted to have discovered Field Roast franks-plus, I hope only that I haven’t been singing to the choir with this post.

Still thinking about those ghastly South Korean dog meat farms, I wish Field Roast could expand its production site(s) from Seattle to Asia and train farmers there to raise vegetarian food ingredients. That would be about as far away as possible from their horrible present “occupation.”   

From Humane Society International’s latest appeal:  
Kaya only wants to do what comes naturally as a mother–to keep her newborn puppies safe and fed. But every day she struggles to provide those basic needsundernourished herself, tethered by a heavy chain around her neck. This is her life, their life together, on a dog meat farm in South Korea.

These are just some of the dogs suffering on this farm for the trade in their meat. And the cruelty lies within the shadow of the events happening just down the road at the Winter Games in Pyeongchang.

            Day in and day out, Kaya copes with fear, hunger and freezing temperatures, while doing the
            best she can for her helpless babies. The other dogs on this farm are shivering in the dark, 
            many of them trapped in dungeon-like cages so small they can barely turn around.


The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. 
They were not made for humans any more than
black people were made for whites or women for men. 
--Alice Walker, poet and novelist

#


If you subscribe to this blog and want to comment, please click here:  www.1moreonce.blogspot.com.  





No comments:

Post a Comment